Wednesday, March 25, 2015

2009 - DARK SIDE DUB THE MOON - PART 2

- EASY STAR ALL STARS -
Do you believe in synchronicity?

One morning I woke up and was in my kitchen making my 1st cup of coffee for the day, It must have been about 6am and I was barely awake. Suddenly, as I was pouring my cup, I jumped... My Iphone turned all on by it self! Out of my phone and out of the blue came the beginning of Pink Floyd's "Time," only it wasn't Pink Floyd, it was reggae version that I was completely unaware of from a band named "Easy Star All Stars" and their new release "Dub Side of the Moon." I was already baffled at how my phone was operating itself, not to mention it offering me my 1st variation in my "Dark Side of Oz" (DSoOZ) Series. Less than a 1/2 hour later I had purchased and downloaded the new CD and was busy applying it to it's new home.

At first I didn't realize it, but the "Dub Side of the Moon" CD (DSoTM) seemed to be constructed in the same exact timing as Pink Floyd's DSoTM, perhaps so it could accompany and embrace the urban legend. So that's what I decided to do with it!

AUGUST 15th - 2009
THE 1st DARK SIDE OF OZ VERIATION

Once again, it takes 2 1/2 repetitions of DSoTM to equal the length of TWoOZ, I quite simply placed the new "Dub Side of the Moon" into it's home as the 2nd repetition and when that CD was over I returned to the original master sync with DSoTM from the beginning. The 2nd repetition begins as the reggae heart beat of "Dub Side of the Moon" syncs as Dorothy finds the Tin Man and listens to his chest for a heart. This new variation gave me such notable segments as "The Rasta Lion" and "The Haunted Dub Forrest" and it allowed an entertaining break from the original score. I found that it also offered me a foundation and the future to search further for more variations.

THE RASTA LION KING
The "Dub Side of the Moon" and "Eclipse" end as Dorothy is being rescued by her friends and
the chase ensues after them in the Witches Castle. It's not until the 3rd and final repetition that the DSoTM heart beat is heard again, and on the same Gilmour chord strike as Melvyn in the 1st rep
the water has been poured all over The Wicked Witch and she melts into "Speak to Me."

The Witches Castle is... 
The Dark Side of the Moon!


One of the only self imposed rules that I placed on my self right from the beginning of this process was, rule #1, I would not change or edit any of the original TWoOZ footage. I wanted the dialog to accompany the film and my sync to accompany the video. I remained true to that rule #1 with only one or two exceptions. In this case to wrap the sync up properly and with the most impact I slightly altered the beginning of  the DSoTM last repeat. I made my sync center point the same as the 1st chord strike in "Breathe" relates to Melvyn.. a minor difference of 4-5 seconds ahead only this time the chord is struck on the pail of water being poured on the Wicked Witch,. The remainder of the sync rolls out nicely, the return to Oz and the departure, even to the point of quieting down to allow Dorothy's returning home words.  Lastly, "The Great Gig in the Sky" with Claire Torrey's vocals provide a very appropriate credit & title piece exit.



EASY STAR ALL STARS @ WIKIPEDIA
EASY STAR ALL STARS @ EASY STAR ALL STARS - HOME


These stories consist of rough drafts that will be proof read and finalized
before being included in "Another Day Another Decibel"
www.ViralMediaArt.com

No comments:

Post a Comment