Monday, April 6, 2015

SKY DANIAL O'BANION - His name was Mr. Humble


I got kicked out of every school I ever went to. I got kicked out of so many schools that my mom had to use friends addresses so I could go to schools in other districts. I finally had to have a tutor come to my house because I was out of schools to go to.



The man in this picture was my school principal. He was the new principal and I was kicked out of this school for the second time after they let me come back after attending other schools. He knew I was troubled but he also knew I had a love and obsession for a newly found instrument, the harmonica. He wanted to boost my self esteem and help me.

  
SKY DANIAL O'BANION
 His name was Mr. Humble

Even though I was getting kicked out again, he wanted me to play the school talent show with him. I was finally excited to go to the principals office. He wanted me to develop some structure and discipline in my playing. He had a black Les Paul and a black face Fender Twin. I think he had kind of hung it up as a musician in trade for a career in education but I think I inspired him to dust off the Les Paul and Fender Twin. 


I felt like I could fly when we performed together at that talent show. He really helped me. I never felt like I fit in or was good enough. I hated school with every inch of my soul. His name was Mr. Humble and I am forever grateful to him. He gave me one of the very few positive memories of school. I think I was 11 or 12.
 
P.s. I played through the original school auditorium tube p.a. System. The ceiling was lined with old 8" speakers.

 SKY WITH CHRIS MARVIN

THE TRADE WINDS - COTATI CA.

These stories consist of rough drafts that will be proof read and finalized
before being included in "Another Day Another Decibel"
www.ViralMediaArt.com

1 comment:

  1. That's my boy. A truly gifted blues player and even better friend. We been to hell and back and know each have two awesome kids and we still above ground!

    ReplyDelete